Archive for the ‘music – tm’ Category
"Bjarney" [5.9 MB .mp3]
Continuing with the house tempo. Sound sources include sliced and rearranged '70s e-piano (from vinyl) and analog synth chords and a bass line from a non-house tune I did. This needs speakers that can play bass to be heard "as intended."
"plEBE" [6.5 MB .mp3]
"Respiration 1-2" [7.7 MB .mp3]
Started re-listening to house records from about 15 years ago and decided to work some of my current ideas into that format. "plEBE" is the more conventionally structured of this pair, "Respiration 1-2" is the avant garde B-side.
"Toy Piano" [4.5 MB .mp3]
See notes to "Cumulative Beats," below. Other ingredients used here are some riffs composed in Mulab, a sequencer program I've been enjoying (while I still have Windows).
Am thinking of this song is an unofficial tribute to Charles Ives -- no, really.
"Cumulative Beats" [4.8 MB .mp3]
The white noise leaking all over this is a feature. Lo-fi beats are triggered in Eurorack digital modules (e.g., ADDAC 111 wav player, Qu-Bit Nebulae), then assembled in Ableton. In this tune and "Toy Piano," am using Ableton's audio-clip-to-MIDI conversion programs to play around with tunes that are already recorded (and the hardware settings would be a pain to duplicate). Ultimately MIDI is used twice, once to trigger the hardware, once to edit notes in the resulting recording. Fun!
"Anemone Would" [6.1 MB .mp3]
A melange of modular synth (1/200th of the size of Venetian Snares'), Ableton presets, and, cough, archival sampling. At approximately :16, tunes emerge.
Update: Shortened, tweaked, reposted.
"Nursery Rot" [3.6 MB .mp3]
The main synth voice here is a bit obnoxious -- like a Casio version of a someone's approximation of a ring-modulated trumpet. I just "went with it" and tried to build a short song around this timbre. The "lead" sounds are from sampler modules. A background theme running throughout is a sine and square wave "interleaved" and "bit-rotted" using the Segoh "bit rot" chip for Tiptop Audio's Z-DSP digital processing module. The drums are from various MIDI groove and sample kits in Linplug's RMV drum sampler (recently discontinued so now it's "vintage").
"Downsampled Rave Stomp" [5.5 MB .mp3]
This tune uses a couple of hardware sampler modules. Many of the sounds are reduced from a CD-quality 16 bit depth/44.100 sample rate to 8 bits and/or a 22.050 Khz sample rate, in order to be playable in the modules. When the samples are triggered at different pitches they lose some further sound quality. But then they are recorded and mixed with other sounds in Ableton at "32 bit float" (that is, high quality). Ableton changes the speeds again so they conform with the pitch and bpm of the project. Then the samples are saved back down to mp3. Small wonder some of these "stabs" are the audio equivalent of passed-around, screenshotted Instagrams (note topical reference).
"Blooming Union (Wavetable Variations)" [5.5 MB .mp3]
Speaking of the A-112, it was used throughout this tune; specifically, the sound source is the "Wiard waves," which I was finally able to transfer to the module.
The beginning section is in a non-4/4 time signature; I used an Ableton "groove map" to keep the beats in some semblance of sync with the A-112.
Some bass and synth lines were recycled from "Blooming Union" because I wasn't tired of them yet and that piece is only two minutes long.
"Blooming Union" [4.7 MB .mp3]
Most of these sounds were made on my modular "rack" (and assembled in Ableton); however, the phattest sound (that recurs throughout) is a Native Instruments preset for the Massive wavetable synth, called "Blooming." Oh, well, I did the write the tunes for it myself. I think.
"Day Sleeper" [3.6 MB .mp3]
Some new sounds in my usual four-bar cuisinart: a Linux instrument called Aeolus ("a synthesized [i.e. not sampled] pipe organ emulator") and an actual live violin sample by Trev Wignall, part of a sound pack for the Qu-Bit Nebulae Eurorack granular sampler. I'm transposing it and I don't know what else in the Nebulae; haven't given a close enough listen to the original clips yet. :(
The final mix of "Day Sleeper" was done in Ableton, which I've been using because it has better handling of the Expert Sleepers modular hardware and software (also used on this track). Expert Sleepers routing in Cubase was a constant... struggle. Even in Ableton it's a puzzle wrapped in a riddle. Basically the designer understands how it works but spreads "the small picture" across dozens of videos, manuals, and forums. Have been working on a series of notes on "Expert Sleepers for Ableton," which is mainly to keep all the tracks and channels straight in my head. At the end of the day being able to control a modular synth with control voltages coming directly from a PC's sound card is kind of nerdy rush, so am not begrudging the effort.