by tom moodyComments Off on cassette aesthetics, bandcamp marketing, etc
Searching Vitamin D (early '90s house DJ) led to his most recent project, Cold Busted records, and specifically a hiphop easy listening LP called Sailing, by Moroccan beatmeister saib.
I like the design and overall aesthetic of this (sold out) cassette:
Sailing is also available as a CD or streaming, and there's also (sold out) vinyl.
The song Tropics caught my ear and I streamed it a few times before triggering Bandcamp's annoying "Now is the time to open thy heart/wallet" notice. Sometimes that can be ignored but this time it was preventing further listening. No doubt this semi-dark pattern works as a sales technique, and some listeners may in fact open their wallets.
For my own account as an obscure Bandcamp artiste, I specified "unlimited streaming" with the theory that: I don't mind users getting repeat plays of a low-res mp3 -- it might take more than four plays for them to decide to invest in a FLAC! In any case, i don't want to turn them off with an annoying message that actually prevents them making an informed sales decision, ha ha.
This track combines some of the settings and sound files from Premonition of Discord and an earlier percussion piece, Piskow Reassembly.
The Multisampler kit and its submix tracks assignments came from the former; some "mangled" versions of samples from 1970s jazz percussion, from the latter.
Tracks 2 and 3 are recordings of GoBox, a Reaktor groovebox playing on a Windows PC, captured and trimmed for this tune.
1. Recording of ADDAC wav player module strings riff, trimmed into loops and timestretched
2. Recording of Doepfer minisynth module, riffs trimmed into loops and timestretched
3. 808 loop found on internet
4. Multisampler playing hits from a kit I made for the ADDAC wav player of pitched synth notes. The zones are set to play randomly when MIDI-triggered. Track is muted after rendering.
5. Renderings of Track 4.
6. Additional renderings of Track 4.
7. Additional recordings of ADDAC wav player module strings riff, trimmed into loops and timestretched
8. Recording of ADDAC wav player module keyboard riff
9. Recording of ADDAC wav player module keyboard riff
10. Multisampler playing E-Mu soundfont drumkit, with Tracktion Delay Studio plugin